Are you moving with kids? Here are 14 ideas from After the Boxes Are Unpacked by Susan Miller that you can use to make the transition go a little bit easier.
- Encourage your kids to plant seeds or flowers in the yard. Explain how we all have to root and grow in new soil.
- Encourage your children to invite friends home. You provide the pizza.
- Make a family time capsule to open in one year. Include things to do, places to see, and words to describe their feelings now.
- Establish a routine as quickly as possible.
- Don't do away with all their old toys and familiar possessions. These may give your child a feeling of stability.
- Let your child take part in decorating his or her room.
- The old traditions are still very important to your family, however, a new house is a great time to add some new traditions.
- Listen, listen, listen. Give them lots of hugs.
- Get them involved in a youth program at church.
- Tour the school. Find the restrooms, lunchroom, library. Get involved.
- Give them lots of reassurance.
- Pray for them every day.
- Tuck them in at bedtime.
- Give them roots in Christ, family, and home.
Find more encouragement and great ideas in But Mom, I Don't Want to Move! by Susan Miller.