You may feel that you’ve done nothing courageous, but every act in the list below requires a measure of courage. Ask yourself if you’ve done any of these actions. Bring the list to the dinner table with family or friends to spark a discussion!
- Admitting you are wrong.
- Doing what is right when everyone else isn’t.
- Speaking to someone you don’t know.
- Saying “no” when people are trying to get you to do something you know you shouldn’t.
- Telling the truth and accepting the consequences.
- Standing up for something you believe in even though it might mean rejection or ridicule or even physical harm.
- Defending someone who is considered unpopular or unacceptable.
- Confronting a fear without running away.
- Facing a limitation and giving it your very best regardless of pain or discomforts.
- Giving sacrificially to protect or promote either someone you love, someone who has been wronged, or someone who is in need.
- Being the only one.
- Taking a risk.
- Sharing your heart honestly (including your feelings and fears and failures).
- Living your faith with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength regardless of the cost.
List compiled by Dr. Steve Stephens, psychologist and speaker